Following the death of James Perry (Perry & Co.), his brother Stephen continued to run the business. He, in turn, was succeeded by his two sons, John & Lewis. John's son Edmund eventually became Joint Managing Director, but upon his father's death in 1918 Edmund left the company and established "E.S. Perry", successfully perfecting the manufacture of stainless steel pens. During the second world war E.S. Perry ceased pen manufacturing and converted to making armament components.